Skip to main section

Military Assistance

Your commitment deserves ours

Strayer University is a GoArmyEd, Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership* (NCPDLP) and Air University Associate-to-Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC) school. We recognize and honor your service and have established a Veteran Service Team to support you every step of the way. We’ll help you choose a program that aligns with your goals then work with you to build a personal education plan.

To further demonstrate our commitment, we offer scholarships to active duty service members and spouses and we also participate fully in the Yellow Ribbon Program in support of our veteran students.

  • Military scholarships for those currently serving in the military and spouses of current service members. Explore other ways to reduce your tuition.
  • We’ll evaluate your military training, certifications, CLEP/DANTES and prior college to award transfer credit for your life experiences.
  • Strayer University is approved by the Veterans Administration to accept and process your veteran education benefits.

Assistance for military and veteran students


The Army provides eligible service members up to $4500 per year in tuition assistance. Undergraduate students can combine their Army TA with the active duty scholarship and have $0 out of pocket cost for tuition. Students pursuing a graduate degree can also receive a scholarship that significantly reduces the cost of tuition.


We participate in the Navy College Distance Learning Program (NCDLP) and provide no-cost evaluations of your military experience to award credit when appropriate. Active-duty service members can receive a scholarship that can cover up to 100% of undergraduate tuition and a significant portion of graduate tuition when combined with your NCDLP tuition assistance. Apply today and connect with your admission officer to learn more. Spouses may also be eligible to receive the scholarship.

Air Force

Strayer has partnered with Air University through their AU-ABC program which helps airmen who have completed an associate of applied science degree with the Community College of the Air Force or earn a relevant bachelor of business administration or bachelor of science degree. The General Education Mobile (GEM) program allows airmen to complete a variety of CCAF pre-approved courses in a distance learning format. Apply today and connect with your admission officer to learn more.


Strayer offers flexible ways for those serviced in the Marines to earn a variety of degrees. We also offer a scholarship to current service members and their spouses to help pay your undergradate and/or your graduate degree. Contact one of our Military Admissions Officers who can help you with program and course selections and answer any questions you have about getting started.

Coast Guard

We offer members of the Coast Guard flexible ways to earn your degree and scholarship programs for active-duty service members and their spouses. They help to significantly lower the cost of a degree when combined with Coast Guard tuition assistance.


It’s an honor to serve our veteran students and we’ve been helping them achieve their educational goals for years. Strayer University is approved for Veteran Education Benefits and participates fully in the Yellow Ribbon program. Learn more

Yellow Ribbon Scholarship

Strayer University is proud to demonstrate its commitment to our nation’s veterans by participating fully in the Yellow Ribbon Program.* All veterans eligible for the program (as determined by the VA) can receive a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship.

To download a copy of the Yellow Ribbon pamphlet from the VA website, click here.

For Frequently Asked Questions about the Yellow Ribbon Program, click here.

*Strayer University’s participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program is determined annually. Should Strayer University cease participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program, eligible Veterans will continue to receive other benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits that are generally payable for 10 years following honorable discharge from active duty service. This is a benefit typically for those who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 and elected to have your military pay reduced by $100 a month for the first 12 months of service. There are other factors and eligibility criteria that the Department of Veterans Affairs takes into consideration and to find out more about Chapter 30 benefits, learn more.

How to apply for veteran benefits

1. Check your eligibility

There are multiple GI Bill® benefits available depending on the dates your service, your veteran status and other factors. Visit the Benefits page to check your eligibility.

View Benefits


2. Prepare your documents

You will need to complete and submit one of the following forms, along with any supporting documentation indicated during the application process:

• 22-1990 – Application for Educational Benefits

• 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form

• 22-5490 – Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits form

• 22-5495 – Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form

You can download these forms from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website here. Students who have used their benefits at another school or institution must submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form before they can begin using their benefits at Strayer University.


3. Apply for veteran benefits

You may choose to apply for VA education benefits online through the VA Online Application System or to download the forms and send them to the Department of VA via mail or fax. It takes approximately 30 days to process applications. Please wait at least 45 days after submitting your application to inquire about your status.



Receive your certification of eligibility

Once the Department of Veterans Affairs has determined your eligibility, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. You must submit a copy of the certificate to Student Financial Services at Strayer University.